‘Locky’ Ransomware Alert from BulletproofIT
New Ransomware Notice from Bulletproof InfoTech:
We wanted to make you aware of a new Ransomware that has started to raise its ugly head. The IT world is calling it “Locky” – and it works in a similar way to other “Ransomwares” such as CryptoLocker and CryptoWall. Please review the following information and share it with your staff members.
The main point?
- Be careful! If activated on your computer, Locky will encrypt your files, change your file names, and you will see a message telling you that you can’t access the data unless you pay the hackers for a password.
How do you avoid it?
- Locky is sending fake invoices that look like a Microsoft Word document. Once you open one, the text is illegible and you are prompted to enable macros in the document. DON’T DO IT. See a sample photo below of what such a message might look like.
- While Bulletproof works to ensure your systems have multiple levels of security software in place, the main way Ransomware gets into a system is by tricking you into opening something bad – particularly via email attachments. By “you” I mean me too – it can happen to anyone. So we all need to be careful.
- Use great caution when opening attachments in emails you aren’t expecting and/or from people you don’t know.
- Never open zipped file attachments unless you are specifically expecting them to be sent to you from known senders.
- Never enable macros in an email attachment unless you are very sure about the source of the document.
- Never click on a link in a fishy (phishy) looking email.
- If you’re unsure – call BulletproofIT for assistance and we will look at the email with you.
- If you think you’ve clicked on something bad – call BulletproofIT right away for assistance.
We highly recommend you share this information with your staff.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us!
More detailed information can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/the-locky-ransomware-encrypts-local-files-and-unmapped-network-shares/